Author Topic: has anyone suceeded in orbit rendez vous, iss apollo , shuttle or anything?  (Read 2385 times)

thierryspeth

• BetaTeam
    • View Profile
hi everybody, there is one thing i never suceeded, its about csm to lem rendez vous or shuttle to iss rendez vous or apollo 9 and 7 . i see coplanar, dock , coaxial , rnvz, beautiful crosses to align oon mfd1 , but the distance is always too great, and i can t get to approach. i think i did it one time on the iss to shuttle because they are only 20 kms one from the other, and i didi it with the orbit planner. is there any tutorial i have not seen ?
 thanks in advance.

jcarrion

• Administrator
    • View Profile
hi. 

Well ,Ive done several times :) but I think that doesnt count .

How ? 

Im assuming you are already in a coplanar orbit ( as in Orbiter ). if not , using the align orbit thing , just normal+ /normal - at the ascending /descending node (AN .DN )

Now , Im also going to assume the docking target is less than 100 -200 km.

the whole process would be a series of ...

1 Docking(MDF) ->Relative retrograde.  That puts the specacraft retrograding vs their relative velocity
2 Apply thrust until the relative velocity is Zero ( or small enough)
-- ok , now you should both spacecrafts with the same velocity , as in not moving beetween them

3 Orient your spacecraft towards the target

4 Docking(MDF) DIR  (point to ). 

5 Apply Thrust until you get a confortable relative velocity.

6 once you are close enough * , you should stop your spacecraft (relative speed, , obviously ) by repeating Step 1

As you are in a circular-ish orbit , you need to repeat the steps 3-4 times (deppending on the altitude, etc) , as the relative position vs velocity vs angular velocity varies quickly as the target spacecraft follows its own orbit.

thierryspeth

• BetaTeam
    • View Profile
woww, thanks francisco, i'm printing that.

Marz13

• View Profile
I done 3 rendezvous with space simulator.  Seems easier than KSP,  I always fail with it. I think it because KSP is at 1/10 scale, and I use smaller orbits.
  Has any one done the moon launch and rendezvous in the SLS missions?  I'm not having any luck at that.  Tried the "launch to orbit" preprogram, but exploded for some reason.