Author Topic: Bug and Look & Feel  (Read 5029 times)

Zigzag

• View Profile
Bug and Look & Feel
« on: December 20, 2014, 03:21:02 PM »
Hi jc
I have started to play with 1.2 (1.2) #8
Here are my observations
Start up
1. "Loading, please do wait" is clumsy, should be "Loading, please wait" (same at mission launch)
2. On the first screen (the space station) it is not intuitive that you have to tap the "Return" icon in the top right to start the game.  In fact the icon color is such that it can't be seen clearly unless you know it is there.

Introduction
3. The choice of the colors on the introduction screen is perhaps not the best. As an example the word Simulator is hard to read.
4. The text on the introduction screen bleeds off to the right and the screen cannot be moved so the letters/words at the end of each line are unreadable.
5. Personally I am not a fan of upper case text and I would reserve it for titles
6. The menu options mentioned within the text look like links (underlined, different color) but they are not.

Tutorial
7. Am I correct that there is only one Tutorial, The Hoffmann Transfer?  If so change Tutorials to Tutorial on the Tutorial page.
8. The Tutorial page displays an action that I noticed elsewhere.  The scroll bar on the right hand side does not accurately display the current window's display within the whole text. If you scroll to the bottom of the Tutorial the scroll bar is at the 50% position.

Configuration
9. On the configuration screen selecting Multi-Function Display consistently results in a hard crash.
10. The Configuration screen displays a problem I have noticed elsewhere.  The button/switch labels do not fit in the boxes and bleeds off to the left and right.
11. The scroll bar is inaccurate.

Missions - A-11 Episode 1
12. The label in the menu and the title of the mission itself are different.
13. The text: Same comments as made for Introduction
14. When the mission is launched, on the fly in to the rocket, the launch pad looks to be floating in air.
15. When the message "Switch on the on-board computer ...." is displayed the [PRO] button is not displayed on the screen.  Do you really want the user to have to hunt for it?
16. The next instructions refer to a button called "[VERB]" but on the computer it is labelled "[VRB]"
17. The rocket engine sound is heard only  intermittently during launch.
18. When the "Fire LES Motor" instruction is given tapping the switch opens the cover but tapping the actual switch gives no response that indicates the motor has been fired or activated.

I have only listed things I can reproduce.  However on one start up the space station was displayed as wildly spinning  and on one A-11 Episode 1 mission the rocket crashed into the ocean very early in the mission.  I will try to reproduce both scenarios.

JC in my opinion fixing these types of small things will result in a highly polished, professional looking game. However if it is not the type of feedback you are looking for please let me know and I will not burden you with them in the future.

Regards
Z

jcarrion

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Bug and Look & Feel
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 11:36:39 AM »
hi Zigzag

This is exactly what we meant  by a list of bugs  ,. Well done ,  I ll start fixing stuff now ..

Thanks !

Zigzag

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 08:20:41 PM »
Notes to my previous test:
a. All configurations were set to default
b. The test was run on an iPad 3
c. No other apps initiated by user

Clarification of previously reported issue:
17. The rocket engine sound is heard only intermittently during launch when in camera view.

Test 2 Notes

a. All configurations were set to default

b. The test was run on an iPad 3

c. No other apps initiated by user

General
19. There is no way to terminate a mission short of powering off the iPad.

Introduction
20. Change "Thanks for using space simulator" to "Thank you for using SPACE SIMULATOR"

Missions - A -11 Episode 1
21. There is too long a delay (8-10 seconds) after the "Launch Mission" button is pressed before the "Loading.." message is displayed.  The user is going to think that the command did not get initiated.

22. Description:  Change “After a successful launch after launch on Saturn V....” to “After a successful launch on Saturn V......”.

23.  The mission description contain information outside the scope of the mission.

24. The date in the mission clock (top of the screen) maybe confusing to many users.  The display uses the format mm/dd/yyyy  but many countries use a format of dd/mm/yyyy.  If actual format accuracy is not important I suggest using dd mmm yyyy (07 Jul 1969) or mm dd yyyy (Jul  07 1969). NASA’s official time log uses the latter.

25. Since the mission clock is started as soon as the Launch Mission button is pressed and you have no control over how long it takes the user to press the “Pro” button and enter the data in to the computer the mission clock will not reflect “reality”.  I suggest that the clock be started at 13:32 UTC at lift off.

26. According to NASA, the actual launch occurred at 13:32 UTC.   The actual time to orbit time was 11 minutes 49 seconds with orbit being reached at 13:43:49 UTC.  The mission clock shows it taking 13:41 simulation minutes to reach orbit.  The actual time that the simulation ran from launch to orbit was approximately 15:05. The discrepancy between simulation time and run time seems to happen early in the launch.  The simulator times are based on the ”You are clear for obit” transmission.  Note I used a stop watch on this test but on previous runs I had noted over 17 minutes of simulator run time.

27. After reaching orbit and establishing contact through Tenerife, Houston announces that the orbit is 103 by 103, this does not equate to the values shown on the control pane (approx. 260 by 219) and a period of 5304 seconds while the control panel shows 5264.

28. The mission does not end.  By the mission clock after 2 hours 44 minutes the capsule is still in earth orbit.  In reality S-IVB 2ND burn started 2 hours 34 minutes after achieving orbit.

Cheers
Z
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 02:05:09 AM by Zigzag »

Zigzag

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 08:23:36 PM »
Sorry about the font problem. I cut and pasted from my notes.  Will not happen again

Zigzag

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 08:51:50 PM »
Hi JC
These are the last problems I will report for this release.
That way when the new release comes out I can retest everything I have reported to date.

Clarification of previously reported issue.
18. When the "Fire LES Motor" instruction is given, tapping the switch cover opens the cover but tapping the actual switch gives no response that indicates the motor has been fired or activated.   Intermittently I have now managed to fire the motor so I think that the touch area for the switch may be too small.

Test 3 Notes
a. Configuration: All configurations set to default.
b. Test unit: iPad 3
c. No other apps had been initiated by the user.

General
29. The screens do not re-orientate themselves as the iPad is rotated.

30. It is possible to tap the labels on the menu bar (Config Mission etc.) , to have the background colour change (presumably to simulate a button press) and yet no action occurs.  That is a new screen is not displayed.

31. There is a lack of standards in the User Interface.  The Launch Mission "button" looks like and acts like a 2D button.  The menu bar items act like buttons but do not have the 2D look of the Launch Mission button.

32. There is a lack of standards across the various pages:
32a. Index Page:  There is no index button in the menu bar; the text is too close to the logo as a result it overwrites the logo shadow; no page title (compared to Configuration page); and the shadow for the word SIMULATOR is so faint as to be invisible.
32b. Missions Page: No logo; no page title.
32c. Config Page: No logo; has a white page title ("Configuration"); the name is abbreviated in the menu bar.
32d. Tutorials Page: No logo; has a blue page title but its position is different to the title on the Configuration page.
32e. Reference Page: No logo; has a white page title but it is in a different position to the other two.
32f. Mission Page: These are all different.  A-11 Episode 1 seems to be the best but the logo is too high and it covers up some of the underlines in the menu bar.

Missions - A -11 Episode 1
33. The AGC CLR and RSET functions do not work.

34. No error message is displayed if an invalid command is entered.

35. At launch the external camera is turned on, it is subsequently automatically turned off in order to set the EDS to manual.  At this point it is now impossible to pan around the console.  If the external camera is then manually turned on, then off, the pan capability is restored.

36. The pan capability is also lost if the external camera is automatically turned off to fire the LES motor.

37. Setting or not setting the EDS to manual has no effect on the mission.

38. Firing or not firing the LES motor has no effect on the mission.

39. Changing the External Camera Configuration setting has no noticeable effect on the mission.

40. Changing the Display Hints Configuration setting has no noticeable effect on the mission.

41. The mission clock skips seconds

I have logged only problems I can reproduce. However on one occasion turning off the external camera resulted in a grey screen, that is the console was not displayed.

Regards
Z

jcarrion

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 03:56:12 PM »
Fantastic list of bugs. Thanks !

Bugs  being moved to the bug tracking portal . 

http://space-simulator.com/dev/view.php?id=7