Author Topic: Orion moon landing and orbital planner  (Read 3482 times)

Glowworm51

• BetaTeam
    • View Profile
Orion moon landing and orbital planner
« on: August 25, 2015, 01:39:19 PM »
I have managed to land the Orion on the moon, but on occasions despite having zero throttle and engines off, the craft continues to move. On the descent (using the hover engines) the vertical speed seems to switch from positive to negative - not sure if this is right? I have also found it difficult to use the orbital planner to plan a return trip to Earth.

jcarrion

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Orion moon landing and orbital planner
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 02:41:55 PM »
hi ! .

Well , returning from the moon to the earth is a bit tricky . The problem is that the moon is too close ( I mean in real life )  to the earth , so all the moon -earth transfer orbits will be totally affected by the earth gravitation.  

best approach is ( while on the far side of the moon ) to fire just  below scape orbit ( excentricity close to 1 ) .  wait ( or advance time ) till you are well clear of the moon .. (-say 5 moon diameters away ) and THEN compute the propper hohmman transfer to the earth . 

I ll have a look at that vertical velocity . Some one else commented on it . Surely is a readout issue from the normal altitude/radar altitude . In any case will be a readout bug , the physics are still there , and the altitude should show correct anyway .  

I ll fix it in no time. 

Thanks !

Glowworm51

• BetaTeam
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 09:53:19 PM »
Many thanks for your prompt response, I will give your suggestion a go. I still seem to have a problem with coming to a stop after landing. Any residual movement continues after landing despite engine shutdown.

Glowworm51

• BetaTeam
    • View Profile
Re: Orion moon landing and orbital planner - another bug
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 11:17:59 PM »
When in Earth orbit following a transfer from the moon, on occasion the map shown is of the moon rather than the Earth. Can this be changed? Is it possible to use the ILS to guide the craft back to KSC?

Glowworm51

• BetaTeam
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 05:38:36 PM »
I'm sorry to say that it is not just the readout so that are wrong with lunar lander. Both the physics and graphics have bugs. I managed to descend through the surface of the moon through to the dark side!

jcarrion

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Orion moon landing and orbital planner - another bug
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 04:41:57 AM »
When in Earth orbit following a transfer from the moon, on occasion the map shown is of the moon rather than the Earth. Can this be changed? Is it possible to use the ILS to guide the craft back to KSC?
Good point, the map shown is of the planetary reference ( that being the major gravity well affecting the spacecraft) . Getting it to show the map of the orbit' s reference body should indeed be better. I'll sort this out right away.

thanks