Author Topic: New Orbital Planner - Mars transfer  (Read 3356 times)

Glowworm51

• BetaTeam
    • View Profile
New Orbital Planner - Mars transfer
« on: June 14, 2016, 08:09:31 AM »
I am struggling with using the new orbital planner to execute a transfer from Moon Orbit to Mars. I cannot seen to get the Orion Shuttle close enough to Mars to her into Mars orbit. Any suggestions?

thierryspeth

• BetaTeam
    • View Profile
Re: New Orbital Planner - Mars transfer
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 08:18:11 AM »
hi glowworm51, i usually put some "normal" to make the orbit flat compared to the ecliptic plan, the, fuel unlimited, and then i play with deltav and delta t to put the proper position. In which moment do you encounter problems?

Glowworm51

• BetaTeam
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 09:51:23 PM »
Hi Theirry - I do the same (with Normal, Delta T and Delta V), but never seem to get to get close enough get into Mars orbit. I know that you didn't a very useful YouTube video of how to get into Saturn orbit which I managed to do. It did involve having to point Orion at Saturn until close enough to get into orbit. Whereas Saturn was vey visible (because of its size and rings), it is very difficult to see Mars.

thierryspeth

• BetaTeam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 09:29:51 AM »
ok, i tried also yesterday and i had some difficulties, to place the spaceship close to mars, i have problems to make a fine tuning, the spaceship is too far from mars, one click on delta v put the spaceship before or beyond a good point, i'll try again. Is this the problem you have?

Glowworm51

• BetaTeam
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 09:01:04 AM »
That is exactly the problem I have. I don't have the same problem with Jupiter, probably because of its greater gravitational pull? I also find with the Mars transfer, that when using the Orbit Planner I have to move Delta T considerable ahead of Mars in order to get their orbits to intersect as closely as possible (if that makes sense)

thierryspeth

• BetaTeam
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 06:47:29 PM »
same for me, i think this is difficult to use large numbers as 725 millions kilometers and fine tuning at 1000 kilometers, a
a fine tuning with number entry could be cool