Author Topic: on Android the orbits in Apollo-Missions are not correct  (Read 1617 times)

dom

• Android Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    • View Profile
on Android the orbits in Apollo-Missions are not correct
« on: July 18, 2016, 07:13:54 AM »
ello to all,

both in Mission 2 and 3 the orbits are not correct. There is no way to catch the moon orbit. I think this is a problem of the android version and the planar orbits? Maybe the android version gets the same "nonplanar" orbits, please :)? Is it because of the performance?

jcarrion

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: on Android the orbits in Apollo-Missions are not correct
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 04:17:30 PM »
hi ! .

You re right . the problem is that -for efficiency - the moon's orbits are all in a single plane... .while the SaturnV is guided via program 11 -(sub-code COLOSSUS)- Mission Format  RBM11 ,  and the yaw program is automated  to the historic one. Hence it puts the saturn Stack to an inclinated orbit WAY MORE DIFFICULT  to intercept than the ones used on SpaceSimulation , Orbiter  or KSP.

As kennedy Launch center wont' intercept the ecliptic/ecuator never ( is latitude 33  , so It ll never get closer than 10 degrees to the ecliptic ) the orbit will be alwyas 10 degrees off the   main solar system plane. 

Even that we could (big IF ) make planetary orbits with the correct inclination/ascencion nodes, etc ,  ,    the computation would be almost impossible , as it would mean intersecting 2 non-planar orbits in a n-body system. 

Possible solutions : 

->  Add an extra burn ,  ( should be performed over madagascar/ mozambique's island )  to set the inclination close to Zero..

-> enable moons with the correct accurate orbit , but then it will be simply impossible to compute an orbit with real physics.  We could make it simpler like *** that uses patched conics , but that's quite wrong , as the burn parameters woulkd be trivially easy and grossly overshooting. For the PC version  , would be 'just' doable , with the new pink orbit numeric solver . But analitically would be pretty much impossible  to compute.

So I think I ll add  little extra burn over Africa to set the inclination of the orbit as close to the ecliptic as possible.

dom

• Android Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    • View Profile
Re: on Android the orbits in Apollo-Missions are not correct
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 07:03:50 PM »
That sounds very interesting. So all space-sims use 2D orbits because of the complicated 3D gravitation calcs?1 Sounds feasible ...
Thank you for the informations. I already used the extra burn an its ok.