Author Topic: Need Better way to determine attitude  (Read 2547 times)

John Galt

• View Profile
Need Better way to determine attitude
« on: October 05, 2016, 01:38:32 PM »
I'm struggling to find a way to accurately determine my attitude. The nav balls on the flight computer are not very helpful as they do not have any angle markings on them. The only markings are prograde and retrograde which is not enough. I also tried using verb 16 and noun 17 but it too is not helpful enough as the roll values change with pitch. The reason I ask for this is during lunar ascent for rendezvous with csm it's hard to determine which direction to take off in to match orbit without trial and error and using orbital map.

John Galt

• View Profile
Re: Need Better way to determine attitude
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 02:21:22 PM »
An example of a very well done navball is the one used in Kerbal Space Program.

By the way If anyone has any other ways to accurately determine attitude that are already in the game please let me know!

jcarrion

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 05:22:26 PM »
I ll have a look at it. 

On mobile ,  the MDF video buffer are too small (256x256 ) to render anything with markings . On  desktop I can add a window mode with a hi-quality 8-ball for attitude... 

hmm ,m should be easy (I think ).

Thanks !

John Galt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 06:47:44 PM »
I found a way that mostly works. On the main display screen there is a value for heading in units of rads. To convert that to degrees you multiply by 180 and divide by Pi. That gives you the heading in degrees. 0 points toward north pole, 90 west, 180 is toward south pole and 270 is east. If it is possible to change the units of display from rad to degrees it would help mobile users quite a bit and we could probably get by without a better nav ball. Using this method I was able to manually rendezvous with CSM starting from lunar ascent.