Author Topic: Flying out of the solar system into interstellar space  (Read 3500 times)

Vinny002

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Flying out of the solar system into interstellar space
« on: June 19, 2015, 09:25:00 PM »
Hi, jcarrion!

I'm now about 943,000,000 kilometers away from earth and moving at about 8,800 kilometers per second. I noticed something is not right. As I move away from the sun, the spacecraft won't look any darker than when the spacecraft is about 150,000,000 kilometers away from the sun. I know that as the spacecraft is moving away from the sun the spacecraft will start to look darker, and the farther away from the sun you go, the more darker the spacecraft would look. For example, when the spacecraft is about 10,000 astronomical units or 10,000 times the distance from the earth to the sun, the spacecraft would look totally dark. Thanks!

Cheers,
              Vincent

thierryspeth

• BetaTeam
    • View Profile
Re: Flying out of the solar system into interstellar space
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 12:07:38 AM »
yeah right, that is why i appreciate the movie "the black hole" , because the area of space is deep dark blue, the cygbus spaceship is totally black, just a silhouette with windows enlighted. very different of the star trek movies.

jcarrion

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 06:25:29 PM »
hmmm , well , that's a bit tricky  . not sure if people would appreciate a totally black screen. 

also , the contrast/luminance is dinamically adjusted ..everything will get pale but still -strangely - lit. 

I ll see what I can do.

btw , any sugestion abt which nearby stars to visit ? -besides the obvious a-Centauri ?

thierryspeth

• BetaTeam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 10:50:20 AM »
i would like a system in the pleiades, the seven sisters suns should produce an amazing sky,  also a system near andromeda galaxy, and m16 pillars of creation , and also the surroundings of the horsehead nebula, could be breathtaking.